A Veneer is a thin layer of porcelain used to cover the front of a tooth.
Reasons to consider cosmetic dental veneers
Veneers can be a great option to improve your overall smile and one of the most popular cosmetic treatments in dentistry. They are considered for several reasons such as when the enamel has become worn, chipped or discoloured or the teeth have become misaligned. Cosmetic dental veneers can be a solution to a whole host of dental problems.
What are they?
Veneers are extremely thin but once bonded to the tooth are unbelievably strong. They are a form of dental porcelain which are placed directly on the outside of your teeth. In order for the veneers to fit naturally with the rest of your teeth, about 1mm of your existing teeth surface require being removed. By doing this, not only will your teeth look more aesthetically pleasing, but it can also help them to function better. They are able to block out undesirable colours, such as from a very dark underlying tooth and allow the beauty of the veneers to shine through. They can be used to create a smile that is natural and beautiful and restore the natural function of your teeth.
In most cases, we carry out a diagnostic wax-up where you can trial your veneers prior to going ahead with the definitive treatment.
What are the benefits of veneers?
There can be several benefits to having cosmetic dental veneers and it can be a great option for improving your smile.
– The way veneers are crafted means they can be practically impossible to tell them apart from your natural teeth
– It can prevent further staining from drinking coffee, tea, red wine and tobacco from smoking
– Less of your natural tooth is compromised and remains intact
– Veneers require simple maintenance such as regular brushing and flossing
– It can be an alternative to more complex procedures where you simply require minor improvements like tooth overlaps, gaps or twists.